Adam Jones - Systems Engineer
Recently, I discovered how to block access to a USB thumb drive using the Symantec Endpoint Protection Management console. This proved to be very useful for one of our clients so I will share the steps with you.
In the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, open Policies, then click Application and Device Control.
- Open an existing policy or click Add an Application and Device Control Policy.
- Click on the Device Control tab.
- Under the Blocked Devices section click the ADD button and select the USB option.
- Click the ADD button under Excluded from Blocking and select, one by one, all of the other devices that use USB that should not be blocked (eg: pointing devices, keyboard, cameras, joysticks, HDD, etc. )
- Click OK to save the changes and assign policy.
* From Symantec Tech Article: TECH104299
You need to make sure to pay close attention to step 4. If you leave this step out you could potentially block devices such as printers, keyboards and mice!