Dennis Foote - Systems Engineer
While trying to move my Symantec manger to a new server in our environment, I found the following instructions on Symantec’s website and they worked like a charm!
MACHINE_2 will have both IP and hostname different from MACHINE_1
- Install Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager on MACHINE_2
NOTE: The version installed to the new server must be the same version as on the old server. The new management console can be migrated to a newer version once the transition is complete.
- In the Management Server Configuration Wizard panel, check Install an additional site, and then click Next
- In the Server Information panel, accept or change the default values for the following boxes, and then click Next
- Server Name
- Server Port
- Server Data Folder
- In the Site Information panel, accept or change the name in the Site Name box, and then click Next
- In the Replication Information panel, type values in the following boxes:
- Replication Server Name
The Name or IP address of MACHINE_1
- Replication Server Port
The default is 8443.
- Administrator Name
The Username used to log on to the old console.
The password used to log on to the old console.
- Replication Server Name
- Click Next
- In the Certificate Warning dialog box, click Yes
- In the Database Server Choice panel, do one of the following, and then click Next:
Check Embedded database or Microsoft SQL server (whichever database type you'd prefer to install), then complete the installation.
- Log in to the new SEPM on MACHINE_2 and ensure that all the clients and policies have Migrated successfully.
- Click Policies > Policy Components > Management Server Lists > Add Management Server List
- Click Add> Priority and a new Priority would get added named as "Priority2"
- Add MACHINE_1 under Priority 2 and add MACHINE_2 under Priority 1, and assign this New Management Server List to all the groups.
- Wait at least one replication cycle.
- Stop the "Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager" and "Symantec Embedded Database" service on MACHINE_1 to verify whether all clients now report to the new SEPM on MACHINE_2
- Once verified that all the clients are reporting into the new SEPM, and have moved away from the old one, proceed to the next step.
- Delete the Replication Partner from MACHINE_2 SEPM: Click on the Admin button | Under View Servers, Expand Replication Partners and select the partner to delete | Under Tasks, choose Delete Replication Partner | Type Yes when asked to verify deletion of the replication partner.
- After the successful Migration, uninstall SEPM from MACHINE_1