WordPress was once viewed mainly as a blogging platform. But it has developed into one of the most popular website publishing tools on the Internet. Tech Crunch recently reported that about one fifth of new domains in the U.S. run on WordPress. And it also may amaze you to learn that one of the most popular publishers in the world uses WordPress.
Here are 7 things you should know about WordPress:
- Updating your content is simpler than ever before using WordPress. With its dynamic page creation you can update your site effortlessly without needing a large amount of storage
- You can set up a free subdomain within minutes. You can register at Wordpress.com to get a free website (e.g. www.yourname.wordpress.org). This is great if you don’t have the cash to invest on external hosting and domain services.
- WordPress also has what they call their ‘famous 5-minute install’, which makes it simple to install WordPress if you currently have a domain and a hosting service. What’s more, no coding expertise needed.
- Are there minimum requirements? Yes, if you are hosting your own website outside of WordPress, there are a few requirements to bear in mind. To get the appropriate support down the road, you will have to make sure you have the correct MySQL and PHP versions on your server.
- There are scores of great looking templates (known as “themes”) available from various sources on the Internet. Many are free, some are not. Either way, choosing the best design for your website is quick and easy.
- WordPress offers centralized management for all your pages, posts, multimedia assets, and reader comments. It’s also really easy to manage users and user profiles.
- WordPress encourages e-commerce. There's an plethora of plugins that have already been created that allow you to accept payments, promote, and more on your website. The straightforward plugin search keeps these options at your fingertips.