So now that you are on Twitter you've probably followed coworkers, clients and friends. But maybe you are curious about more than what your coworker did over the past weekend.
You're lucky: Great thinkers, legislators, celebrities, sports stars, scientists and entrepreneurs all have their own Twitter feeds, and you can catch a glimpse of their daily lives simply by following them.
They are not great sources for IT support, but here are 7 interesting people who will get you started if you aren't sure whom to follow:
- Conan O'Brien: The late-night talk show host (and Boston native) is certainly one of the wittiest people around. He's also a master of the absurd. That being said, his Twitter comments are always entertaining. You'll be pleased to know, too, that he never promotes his show through his Tweets.
- Marissa Mayer: Mayer is the first female engineer at Google, you can get a glimpse into the life of a tech expert as well as learn some interesting things about Google by following her @Marissamayer.
- Mike Massimino: Head in the clouds? Then follow @Astro_Mike, the Twitter home to NASA astronaut Mike Massimino. This astronaut can supply you with the inside scoop on life at NASA and a glimpse into what it is like to go into space. On that note, we retract our comment about poor IT support. He might be qualified to offer advice.
- Rainn Wilson: Chances are you'll know Rainn better as Dwight Schrute from The Office. If you find his character quirky and entertaining, you may also enjoy his tweets. Follow @Rainnwilson. Here's a recent Tweet from him: "If I had a bird, I would call it James VanDerBeak."
- Ryan Penagos: If you appreciate comics, you have to know Ryan Penagos. He's the editorial director of Marvel Comics. He's also a busy tweeter at @Agent_M. Penagos and recently tweeted regarding a new Spider-Man video game and gave his thoughts on his favorite comics. He likes the work of writer Brian Michael Bendis.
- Barack Obama: Maybe you didn't vote for him, but Barack Obama is the president of the United States (and was a Cambridge guy at one point). How can you not follow his Twitter feed? Look what the Commander in Chief has to say at @BarackObama.
- Bill Gates: Bill Gates has made an undeniable impact in the tech world. Learn what’s going on in his life and about the charitable causes he and his wife support @BillGates. We would listen to his advice on IT support, too.
We also recommend following Terminal on Twitter if you are not already. It is a great source for IT support, answers to common problems and distractions from your daunting inbox.